Infomedia acquires tech startup MediaCatch and its software platform, representing a next-generation media monitoring technology specializing in audio and images. The AI-based technology can monitor and recognize text, logos, objects, faces, moods, gender, age, etc., across broadcast, podcast, YouTube, streaming services, and social media.
– Our co-ownership of MediaCatch has some clear product synergies. Infomedia provides media monitoring and communication insights to Nordic and international customers. With MediaCatch, we can add technology and know-how in an area where we want to strengthen ourselves further. We are constantly improving our surveillance solutions, focusing more on audio, images, and video monitoring. With this investment, we raise the quality of our solutions in Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, and Swedish, and the main international languages will be connected through the possibilities of MediaCatch, says Infomedia’s CEO Thomas Vejlemand.
MediaCatch has roots in SDU’s university and research environment and continues to have strong relationships with the research area within AI, sound, and images.
– We set out to rethink media monitoring of video and audio 24/7 with the most advanced AI technologies and intelligent software solutions, explains CTO and co-founder of MediaCatch, Filip Wallberg.
– “It has exceeded all expectations. We are just getting started and are looking forward to the collaboration with Infomedia, who can also see the potential, says CEO and co-founder Lars Damgaard Nielsen
In connection with the investment, the composition of the board of directors at MediaCatch changed, with Kate Wichmann, CFO of Infomedia, joining the board. In addition, investor and media advisor Keld Reinicke became board chairman.
– “I believe Infomedia’s size and market position combined with our startup energy will set new standards for media monitoring. Not just in the Nordics but also in the rest of the world. I look forward to being a part of that,” says Keld Reinicke.
The investment follows Infomedia’s acquisition of the technology company Opoint in 2018, which gave Infomedia a leading position internationally in the monitoring of online news content, and the acquisition of the media monitoring company M-Brain in Sweden, Norway and Estonia in 2019, which strengthened Infomedia’s position in the Nordics.
– The investment in MediaCatch is part of a long-term strategy to become a leading player in data-driven communication insights in the Nordics and internationally. Together with MediaCatch, we will significantly strengthen our media monitoring platform and, at the same time, expand our delivery range with new services within sponsorship measurement, diversity measurement, etc., says Infomedia’s CEO Thomas Vejlemand.
Infomedia obtains a 23% ownership share, and the collaboration will enter into force on 7 July 2022.
This video explains more about MediaCatch AI and its software:
For further Infomation
Infomedia is the leading media intelligence provider in the Nordics, delivering media monitoring, media analytics, communication insights, and social media management software. Our products and services give all businesses deeper insight into their communication and reputation across news and social media locally and internationally.
Infomedia owns the technology company Opoint 100%, which, with its web crawling technology, delivers news feeds to media monitoring and IT companies internationally. We are also the exclusive distributor of software from Talkwalker and Hootsuite, both international social media monitoring and management software companies.
Infomedia is owned by JP/Politikens Hus and Berlingske Media and has approximately 250 employees in offices in Copenhagen, Aarhus, Stockholm, Oslo, Helsinki, and Tallinn, as well as a sales office in London and Houston for the subsidiary Opoint.
MediaCatch is a next-gen audio and visual media intelligence software. The company’s proprietary AI understands what’s happening in videos, audio, and images 24 hours a day across channels and platforms. Currently, MediaCatch live scans +30 TV channels, +15 radio channels, +650 web media, Danish YouTube, and selected social media.
MediaCatch provides brand and media analysis and offers a range of products such as sponsorship analytics, diversity analysis, and media monitoring as software as a service.
MediaCatch has technologies such as logos, audio, speech, objects, face recognition, and other technologies that can detect moods, scenes, and more. The company is independent of big tech, captures all media, and performs all calculations in-house.
MediaCatch is a software and technology startup born out of a research project at the University of Southern Denmark, which still co-owns the company. It is co-founded by CTO Filip Wallberg, CEO Lars Damgaard Nielsen, CIAO Anders Glent Buch and CDO Cecilie Bach Kjærulf. The company employs 11 full-time employees. MediaCatch has previously received seed capital from Keld Reinicke, Jørgen Madsen Lindemann, Thomas Busch, and Henrik Juul.